Breaking News

Corona Virus Full Stats

[cvct country-code="IN" style="style-6" title="India Stats" label-total="Total Cases" label-deaths="Deaths" label-recovered="Recovered" bg-color="#000f7b" font-color="#ffffff"]
[cvct country-code="all" style="style-1" title="Global Stats" label-total="Total Cases" label-deaths="Deaths" label-recovered="Recovered" bg-color="#eeeeee" font-color="#222222"] Read more
Home » News » Stalin corners 75% DMK seats, Alagiri gets the rest

Stalin corners 75% DMK seats, Alagiri gets the rest

CHENNAI: The succession war in the DMK first family may have been pushed under the carpet for now. But DMK president M Karunanidhi’s two sons, M K Stalin and M K Alagiri, have charted their territory.
In the forthcoming assembly elections, deputy chief minister and DMK heir apparent Stalin took nearly 75% of the 119 seats the party is contesting, signalling his dominance in the party. His older brother and DMK’s south zone organising secretary Alagiri took a good portion of the remaining 25% for his supporters.
Karunanidhi, who was to release names of the candidates on Wednesday evening, slipped out of town, accompanied by a few senior leaders, and headed for his favourite Mahabalipuram resort to give finishing touches to the list. Under pressure from various factions within his family and the party, the DMK chief preferred to leave town and work quietly in the scenic sea-shore retreat. Sources said a couple of seats each were allotted to supporters of Karunanidhi’s daughter and Rajya Sabha MP Kanimozhi and his grand nephew and Union minister Dayanidhi Maran.
While Stalin’s wish list includes seats mostly in the northern, central and western pockets, Alagiri has focussed on his south bastion, with a couple of seats in the central region. But Stalin, who also spread his wings to some parts of the southern districts, sought seats in Tirunelveli, Virudhunagar and Kanyakumari districts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*