Chennai: At least 300 people living near Chemfab Alkalis Limited’s plant in Pondicherry were hospitalised on Wednesday after a chlorine gas leak from the factory affected them, an official said.
“None of the people admitted is in a serious condition. Till afternoon, only around 70 people were admitted. But after 12.30 pm, the number of people being admitted has increased. Now, there are around 300 people. We will review their condition and discharge around 250 of them later today,” medical superintendent of Indira Gandhi Government Hospital said.
The Union Territory’s administration has ordered immediate closure of the factory.
“Around 7.30 am, workers in the factory were filling chlorine gas in 900-kg cylinders. One of the cylinders leaked and the wind carried the gas to the nearby village, where the people complained of nausea and discomfort,” Pondicherry district collector Rakesh Chandra said.