Both the Panneerselvam and V.K. Sasikala factions of the AIADMK have expressed shock over the Election Commission’s freezing the party’s election symbol of two leaves and said that they would make all efforts to retrieve it.
AIADMK Deputy General Secretary TTV Dinakaran said he did not expect such an outcome and that he would win the RK Nagar bypoll and get the poll symbol back.
The Election Commission has said it delivered a temporary verdict because there wasn’t enough time to examine documents submitted by both sides and take a fair decision. It says both sides can submit extra documents and make their case again before April 17.
ALL THAT HAS HAPPENED SO FAR
- Before filing E Madusudhanan’s nomination for the RK Nagar polls, ‘Team OPS’ will pay her respects at Arignar Anna, MG Ramachandran and J Jayalalithaa memorials at Chennai’s Marina Beach. Panneerselvam and his men.
- The Panneerselvam camp is already at the Jaya Memorial, as tweeted by a Tamil channel. Madhusudhanan, OPS faction’s candidate for RK Nagar polls, is confident that his side will legally prove that they are the real AIADMK, the TV channel reported.
- Veteran AIADMK leader Ponnaiyan told Thanthi TV that the Election Commission’s verdict is a “first victory” for the OPS camp. “In the end, the ‘Twin Leaf’ (Rettai Ilai) symbol will go to Panneerselvam’s side,” he said.
- Former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O Panneerselvam in a statement said it was “shocking and disappointing” that his party didn’t get the symbol despite submitting “strong evidence” to the poll panel and that they would get it back “at any cost”.
- The Panneerselvam camp plans to ask the Election Commission to bar Sasikala’s faction from using the AIADMK headquarters.
- Dinakaran, nephew of jailed AIADMK General Secretary VK Sasikala, said the party workers had “crossed” a similar situation in the past, referring to the poll panel’s freezing the election symbol following the death of AIADMK founder MG Ramachandran in 1987.
- “AIADMK workers have crossed a similar situation. Therefore, they will remain united and we will win the polls and get the ‘two leaves’ symbol again. Amma’s (J Jayalalithaa) supporters are with us. We will win and retrieve the symbol,” he told reporters in Chennai.
- Replying to a question, he said all relevant documents had been put before the EC on this issue and that he “did not expect” such an order by the poll panel.
- He also appealed to the voters to give their mandate to him as he was contesting to fulfill “Amma’s dream of making it a model constituency in India”.
- He said he would be filing his nomination on March 23.
- The Commission issued the order following the O Panneerselvam camp asking EC to allot the ‘two leaves’ symbol to it.
- Following his February 7 revolt against Sasikala, Panneerselvam and some of his supporters were expelled from AIADMK by her. The Panneerselvam camp has since challenged her appointment as AIADMK General Secretary before the poll panel.
- It has also fielded E Madusudanan against Dinakaran for the April 12 bypoll to RK Nagar, necessitated by the death of sitting member and former Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa in December.
- S Semmalai from the Panneerselvam camp told PTI, “We will go all-out, pursue legal measures and retrieve the victorious ‘two-leaves’ symbol of M G Ramachandran and J Jayalalithaa. We will emerge victorious.”
- The former minister and sitting MLA from Mettur seat expressed shock over the Election Commission’s decision, saying that they firmly believed that they would get it as they had submitted adequate documents citing party bylaws and legal framework under which they should have been given the party symbol.
Source: India Today